Featuring Killingly men and women who have been successful in their fields.

Since so much of the early history of Killingly has been gleaned from the books written by H. V. Arnold, it seems appropriate that we should honor him as one who has done us all a great service by putting his memories into writing. Part of his biography was contained in The Windham County Transcript, December 12, 1901, in a column called “Seen and Heard on Woodward’s Corner” by Anthony Allround.

Henry Vernon Arnold was born March 26, 1848, at Laurel Hill (now Bridgeton), a mill village forming a part of the manufacturing town of Pascoag, RI. His father, Amos Arnold, was a brother of Dr. Seth Arnold of Woonsocket. The members of the family were descendants of the old colonial stock of Rhode Island.

After spending several years as a miner in California, the elder Mr. Arnold moved with most of a large family to Danielson, and located on the Brooklyn side of the Quinebaug River. This was about the first of August, 1856.

The subject of this sketch was then eight years of age, and resided there until he was past sixteen. With the exception of a little primary schooling in his native village, the only school he ever attended was that then kept on that side of the river; otherwise he is one of the sort called self-educated men. But he had the luck of being a seventh son and was the youngest of a family of twelve children. It hence followed that during his boyhood he was kept at school and was not put into the mills as were most other boys of that time and side of the river. He did such work, however, as boys do about their homes and was the errand boy of the neighborhood. Though young, his opportunities for observation and general information concerning the village from one end to the other were exceptionally good, though supplemented in after years with facts derived from old residents and other sources. He has a retentive memory of the conditions of early days and of the past occurrences here.

On June 15, 1864, the family of which he is a member removed to Minnesota. From the fall of 1870 to the spring of 1878 he was again in the East, and worked in several places in eastern Connecticut on horses and mills. It was during the interval in 1882 that he first began writing for newspapers, acting for several months as North Grosvenordale correspondent of the Transcript and Putnam Patriot.

In 1880 he went to North Dakota, when that section was new and located at Larimore, in the Red River valley, where he has been connected with a weekly paper for the past four years. Prior to his present visit to the East, his last trip on here was made in 1876.”

Mr. Arnold wrote Birds-Eye View of Danielson Borough An Explanation of the Conant Painting of Danielson in the Public Library as Existing During the Civil War, Including historic notes and comments, published in 1926, The Making of Danielson An Outline History of The Borough of Danielson, Connecticut, published in 1905, and Historical Memoir of the West or Brooklyn Side Danielson, Conn., A Specimen of Village Annals or Common-Place Local History, published in 1906.